Tuesday 5 February 2013

From day one......

I had recently gained a promotion at work in March 2010 and was still settling down into the role when in May I realised I was 'late'.

I'll never forget the weekend before, we had attended a wedding reception and I was extremely drunk. Then I had a complete melt down about being so fat and decided to go crazy on the Wii Fit. We had an exotic holiday to the Dominican Republic booked and life was pretty carefree.

I decided to do a test without my fiance Tony, who was then my boyfriend, knowing (even though i'd promised him I wouldn't do it without him) and was absolutely gobsmacked when the 2 lines appeared.

We'd been together just over a year and was not expecting that! Although the happy/shock soon turned into sadness/shock when I woke up in the middle of the night bleeding heavily. I suffered a miscarriage at 6 weeks. Within 5 days we had been through so many emotions, it was quite a whirlwind.

The whirlwind time almost pushed us into realising what we really wanted for our relationship and we decided to just 'let things happen' for the future. 

I booked a break away to Devon for Tony's birthday in October and this turned out to be the month to change our lives forever. Not only did my one true love propose to me whilst we were away, but I also must have fallen pregnant as well! We were so happy and this time it just felt completely different.

We decided to buy a house within this stressful time, just to make sure that we never had a moment of calm, but we needed to get out of the parents house before the baby arrived.The pregnancy was amazing! Sorry to anyone who has struggled! No morning sickness, no problems at all, no stretch marks and the house completed a month before my due date.

My due date was 5th July 2011 and the morning of that date I just knew things were starting. By 6pm that night, whilst out shopping in Dunelm Mill, my contractions were every 6 minutes apart and my mum decided we needed to call it a day with the house furnishings. So I called Tony who decided it wasn't serious enough yet for him to come home from work and he would stay there until his shift finished at 8pm. So laid back!

I didn't go to the hospital until 2am on the 6th July and was told I was still only 2-3cm dilated. I managed to stay on a ward without Tony until I was 4cm, when he was able to return and I was transferred to the delivery suite. The labour continued at what I thought was a really slow rate, but in fact wasn't too bad. I managed to get the only birthing pool available and was in that for a long time with only gas and air keeping me going. My waters still hadn't gone but oh my god, when they finally did, I think I resembled a wild boar being killed slowly. Agony!!!!

Anyway, I ended up out of the birthing pool, back in the delivery suite, epidural in situ, things not really going to plan. The baby was distressed, had pooed lots and 'its' heartrate was dropping. They decided the baby was large and wasn't going to come out naturally, so I was rushed down for an emergency c-section. Something I did not want at all. All I've ever wanted was to give birth naturally and it was not going to be possible. As long as the baby was ok, they were my main thoughts.

At 20:16pm on Wednesday 6th July 2011, my life changed massively. I became a mummy to a gorgeous little ginger boy whom we named Noah.

It's amazing how quickly things can change though. That day was the best day of my life but also the worst and it's something I will never get over..............

No comments:

Post a Comment